they taped a balloon to his shell so that the employees would be able to know where he was in the store
I kind of want to cry because that is a properly-fed tortoise. Look at its shell — see how nicely rounded the sections are? That’s a sign of good nutrition. Improper feeding leads to what’s called “pyramiding”, where those sections become steep and sort of spiky because the shell isn’t laid down properly because they aren’t eating right.
But not this little fella! Lookit him go!
so we thought the people at marvel had just drawn zayn as a random comic-book character
but actually they’ve done more than that
“The guy from that boyband One Direction’s name is Zayn Malik. If you look him up on google you can find a bunch of images of him. I was picturing Robbie as a beefier version of him. Physically strong, with a quiet, troubled expression, […] kind of boyish. Just my initial idea. Opinions and suggestions greatly welcome, as always. I’ll send you the arc breakdowns in my next e-mail.”
so they didn’t just draw zayn, they used him as a reference to CREATE an ACTUAL comic-book character with a name, a personality and an arc
and he’s the protagonist of AN ACTUAL COMIC SERIES
just think of how HAPPY this must have made zayn
important things to remember when watching mainstream media
- the bulk of the characterization and meaningful relationships built in the narratives are between white men. again, the writers don’t write this as a romantic sexual positive relationships but rather queer bait their audiences. and whatever trickle down of false hope of queer representation that it appears to garner, they will play that up for tokenism but downplay it in mainstream media
- there’s little to no POC representation. and then, if there are, they are underdeveloped with very little backstory and very little exposition is given to their motivations and relationships between others. their motivations lack agency and exposition is rooted in racist stereotypes
- there’s little to no female representation. and then if there are, they are again underdeveloped with very little backstory and very little exposition is given to their motivations and relationships between others. their motivations lack agency and exposition is rooted in sexist stereotypes
- there’s very little lgbtqa+ representation. often it’s a gay white male character and again are underdeveloped very little backstory and very little exposition is given to their motivations and relationships between others. their motivations lack agency and exposition is rooted in queer stereotypes. again it’s usual a white male and it’s seen fill a quota of a whole diverse group of people
- female representation often is boxed into an underdeveloped love interest but their relationship to the white male lead is so underdeveloped that it makes no sense why they are together since the writers aren’t writing a mutual respecting relationship of equals where both characters have needs and goals and beliefs, most of the heavy and profound relationship characterisation is given to the male lead’s male friend rather that the female character as writers don’t view women as equal to men with respect to body autonomy and screen time
- rape and abuse are used to give female representation a tragic exposition but again, this narrative is never seen as a story arc where the female representation in the story becomes empowered or overcomes it. but rather ends up in these situations for not listening to men or her own hubris. even when the female character is written as strong, her rape is unavoidable
in the end. no one is getting what they want from this media aside from a minority of white men. there is still a lack of positive lgbta+ representation, POC representation and female representation.
this narrative needs to change. it affects fandom. it affects everyone’s self-esteem. mainstream media doesn’t exist in a bubble. it’s consumed and a reflection on our society and it needs to diversify to more. the story cannot just be about white men and their super strong friendships. all characters need to be developed. better writing is needed. don’t be lazy and develop only two or three characters. develop your stories to be enriching and engaging so everyone can sit and enjoy it
|teen wolf spoiler:||none of the white boys die, how shocking|
Wow, I would have lost the bet for “first member of The Wanted to announce a solo album”.